Monday, August 20, 2007

Confessional

I've been quilting for about 15 years. Now, that sounds like a long time doesn't it? I could have completed hundreds of quilts in that time, learned to master at least a couple of techniques and along the way possibly created some beautiful art.

But, I've never in all those years managed to complete one single quilt.

In my defense, I've completed a number of tops, I've just never managed to get anything actually quilted. And, although it was 15 years ago I took my first quilting class, various things have made it so I haven't actually been a quilter for the entire time.

My ex-husband hated the money I spent on fabric (even though at the time it was really a very small amount. If he could only see my collection now!) So, my initial foray into quilting was halted by pressure from him. I didn't take it up again until years later after we were divorced. I was excited about quilting again and was able to do it for a small period of time, but other things in my life took precedence and I stopped again for a number of years. When I took it up again, I was in a live-in relationship. I'd moved from Southern California to Northern California to live with him and it had been really difficult leaving my friends and my life to start over again. I thought perhaps quilting would be a way to connect with others and not feel so lonely. That didn't work out so well and I will talk about that in another post, but I ended up stopping again because my lover was unhappy with how much money it cost.

Fast forward to now, when I'm in a relationship with a man who loves me enough to believe I have a right to do what makes me happy. He's supportive of my creative endeavors and believes I have a right to spend my money on what I like.

He's a keeper!

So, I've started again and hopefully this time I will be able to stay.

3 comments:

Vicky said...

Welcome to bloggerland. I'll be back to visit often!!

Darlene said...

Welcome to blogland!

Yvonne said...

Welcome to bloggerville! I can tell I like you already....unfinished quilts, lots of fabric :)