Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I just went in to buy steam-a-seam!


Honest. I just went in to buy some steam-a-seam. Although I love appliqué, I've never done the fusing kind and I have this McKenna Ryan pattern that I want to make for a friend and I needed steam-a-seam for it. My original idea had been to blow it up to a much larger size at the copy shop and then try needleturn on it. Yeah...that was a good theory, however if I'd bothered to look closer at the pattern before I spent $10 on the enlargements I might have noticed there were an awful lot of tiny sharp pointy ends that really won't work with needleturn. Soooo back to plan 'B'.

I thought I'd stop at a shop not far from my home. I'd never been a big fan of this shop and the last time I'd been in it was changing ownership. I hadn't visited after that because that was in one of my n0n-quilting times. Last night I stopped in to see if they had steam-a-seam and OH MY GOD! Let's just say the transformation in the shop is astounding.

The new owner has a dizzying array of wonderful fabric and she's really done a marvelous job bringing the shop back from the sorry state it was in before. I have wanted to make a Halloween quilt for quite some time and one fabric after another kept finding it's way into my arms. From Halloween I went on to find some other lovely pieces and finally I just had to stop.

I know it's sometimes hard for none quilters to understand, but when I see fabric I really like I buy it if I can because there have been too many times a fabric has sold out and then it's gone for good with me missing my chance to buy. :(

My puppy was anxious when I got home. I say 'puppy' but he's really a very old dog. He's about 16 years going on 17. That's my pup at the top. Bentley has been with me since he was a year old. First he was my son's dog while my son was still at home. Then later when my son was on his own Bentley came to live with me after a brief stint away. He's half miniature daschund and half miniature pinscher, funny combination, great dog.

Well, I'm home after a rough day and I am going to relax and hug my dog while I wait for Jason (my boyfriend) to get home.

The new Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting magazine just came today and I'm going to read it while Bentley lays on my lap!

9 comments:

Vicky said...

Oh, gosh, Bentley is wonderful! He reminds me so much of my red doxie, Katie. I loved that dog so much. She lived to be almost 17, and has been gone 10 years now. I think about her every single day. Give Bentley a hug for me, will you?

I was ROFLOL at your trip to the "new" quilt shop. It's amazing how much ends up in our bag when we just go in there for one thing! Great fabrics! Can't wait to see what you do with them! (Hugs)

Darlene said...

I've been visiting you this week but just thought I'd leave a little hello. Bentley is wonderful and I love all your new loot.

Yvonne said...

Bentley is a cutie....love the fabric!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

You're right to buy when you see something you like. I think the best quilts are made from fabrics we love.

Nan said...

Vicky said to stop by and see you, and I'm very glad I did! I absolutely love your dog! I have 3 wiener dogs, and they are my kids.
Love all the fabric you bought - you sound like me. I'll go into the fabric store for ONE thing, and come out with a big bag full of goodies!! Why not, right? LOL!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Just came over to say hi and welcome. Vicky sent me. I'll visit often. www.redgeraniumcottage.typepad.com

Susan said...

I love your story of how all that fabric wound up in your house. =) I don't even do Halloween, but I always am attracted to Halloween fabric!

loulee said...

Hi, welcome to blogging. As a newcomer myself I have to say what a wonderful welcoming bunch these ladies are.

Texan said...

Great Halloween Fabrics!