Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Oopsie :(



I feel really stupid.

I have been using rotary cutters for years. I've changed a lot of blades, but I've always been very careful to lay things out in the right order so I can put it back together correctly. I never took the time to actually learn the parts of the cutter and now I'm paying for that.

This morning I thought I'd cut up some of my Halloween fabric before I headed to work. I'd get started on my quilt, use a few minutes being productive and all that kind of stuff.

Well, my blade needed to be changed. I had nicked it cutting up the last bit of fabric for the binding on my nine patch and it has that annoying little 'chunk' sound when you cut, leaving one little bit of fabric attached. So, I figured I'd change it. I removed the screw and went to remove the blade. I'm not sure what happened but I dropped the cutter. I'm lucky I didn't lose a toe, but pieces of the rotary cutter were all over.

I picked them up and laid them out on the cutting mat and realized that I don't have a clue now which way that little washer goes and whether it goes in front or behind of the yellow disk. :( How dumb can you get?

I think I'll stop tonight on my way home and buy a new one. If I do, you can bet I'm going to carefully take it apart and pay attention to which thing goes where.

4 comments:

Kim West said...

I don't blame you at all -those things are hard to put back together right. I have two of them. I recently bought an omnigrid cutter - it has four pieces. The nut that holds it on, the blade, the handle part, and one other piece. The nut only goes one way and the same with the other pieces. It was so easy to change that one.

Yvonne said...

The way you have the cutter on the table is the top where the blade and the big back thing go. On the back goes the yellow disk and then the washer and the nut. Hope that helps. I have two just like that.

Shelina said...

It takes me some figuring to figure out how to put back a rotary cutter too. I'm not sure if I haven't put something in the wrong order somewhere along the line and keep repeating my mistakes, but as long as the cutter still works, I guess it is okay.

Mar said...

Oh yes, I'm always careful to lay it out exactly the way I took it apart. Good to hear others have the same issues.