Sunday, September 30, 2007

Dye and dye again


So, I had a rough week and was really sick. Jason got back in town late Friday night and I picked him up at the airport. I had worked a 14 hour day and I wasn't sure how much energy I'd have this weekend, but there were some things I really wanted to do.

I was itching to dye some fabric again and Jason gave me a lecture about how perhaps I should just take it easy since I'd been sick. I appreciated the fact that he loves me enough to tell me when he thinks I've pushed myself too far, but I really wanted to do some dyeing.

So, I spent all weekend doing just that. Since my setup is less than ideal, as the rainy season sets in, I will have little chance to dye, so I'd like to get as much in as I can.

I'll post more pictures later, but here you see several of the colors I did this weekend. There are a few more pieces not in the picture and I have plenty of concentrate left to do more this week. Forgive the junk box and the ugly, deformed feet in the picture. It was a quick-and-dirty-grab-a-shot-just-to-have-a-post kind of thing. :)

I wish I had more time to dye and quilt. Unfortunately I got little quilting done this weekend. I must work on my pumpkins and my Christmas quilt..oh and finish the Halloween quilts...

This weekend's dyeing made me wonder about tint and shade. Typically shade is adding black to a pure color to darken it and tint is adding white. Since you can't add white in dyeing...what do you add? I have to do some research on this, but at the moment I'm thinking it's really just less of the pure color to make it lighter. Does anyone know where I can find some information on it?

Well, it's late and I'm exhausted. I know I pushed myself too much this weekend, but I really love dyeing.

If you were one of my 'winners' don't forget to send me your address!

7 comments:

Carol said...

Glad you are feeling a bit better! I'm sure getting back to that dye pot helped a bunch!

Yvonne said...

They look wonderful...hope you slept well!

Vicki W said...

They look great! Bet that made you feel better. For tint - jsut add more water since your fabric is white you just need to dilute the dye.

Susie said...

My goodness, those are beeeeauuuuutiful!
Can you post sometime in the future what patterns you are going to use for these gorgeous colors?

Mar said...

What a joyful colorful heap of cloth!! Looks like you having fun and I think you could call it therapy!

Vicky said...

Gorgeous dyes! You're really getting the hang of it!!

Nan said...

Your fabrics are beautiful!! Even though you were feeling poorly, I bet it helped you feel a bit better doing something you so truly love.