Monday, September 3, 2007

Weekend sewing



Well, I spent most of my weekend sewing on the Halloween quilt.


So, it took me several hours to cut out all the fabric. Believe or not all that fabric you see there is the leftover. Since I wasn't cutting from a pattern but creating my own it appears I have cut out enough for two quilts.


I got all of the cutting done on Saturday. One thing I find irritating when I'm cutting fabric is how much we end up losing sometimes due to the way fabric is on bolts, or the way it was cut off. I'm not blaming the quilt shop owner, I know it's just a by product of the way things are, but you can see in the photo the waste from cleaning up a fat quarter. On that fat quarter it was over an inch. I guess it sounds cheap to think that it's only an 'inch' but when I think of all the fabric I've cut that adds up to a lot of inches.

I finished up sewing all the blocks yesterday and today and below is an idea of what I am doing with the quilt. I've never done a scrap quilt before and I'm not sure this one is very good but I guess I'll see how I feel when I'm all finished.

Below is just a small section, I cut pieces out of the panels and I'm going to applique them done on the black squares. This is just a small section of the quilt. It's going to be a large lap quilt so this is about a third to a quarter of the size it will finish.

God only knows what I'm going to do with all the leftovers. I guess I'll make a second quilt.



I'm terribly disappointed that I didn't win the auction for the Thimbleberries Christmas quilt books. It was down to the wire and I was oubid by $4. I will just have to live vicariously through Vicky and the others!

1 comment:

Mar said...

Your Halloween quilt is looking awesome!! I guess you'll just have to get out your pom poms and cheer those TB Xmas gals on with me.